Monday, August 31, 2015

Work

John 6:29, 40 NLT
Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent." For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day."

We grow up in our culture today with the goal of becoming educated in order to obtain a good paying job. We work to earn a living so we can purchase shelter, food, and enjoy life. It is not about how much we make, but rather what we do with what has been allotted to us.

Common sense tells us we cannot live in a two thousand dollar a month home if we only make fifteen hundred a month. But we are tempted by credit card companies to charge what we want in hope that we will make more in the future and pay off our debts. It is good for them, but bad for us. So we often work more than one job to make enough to feed our need to spend more.

I do not think Jesus was talking about this kind of work. No, He was telling me that I do not have to work to retain my relationship with Him. I am saved, born again, a friend of God. All my sins have been forgiven. He is the same today and tomorrow, the same as He was yesterday. There is no work I have to do to keep Him in me. Nothing can change His mind about how much He love me.

Is there work to be done? Yes there is. Our work is sharing the gospel message with all we come in contact with. How can they follow Jesus if they do not know who He is? We are to go in to the world, the places where we live, and share Jesus. We are to be a light in dark places. We are to be Jesus to a needing world. But it does not stop there. When someone accepts Jesus we do not let them go. No, we are to disciple them so they go to their world and share with them what Jesus has done.

How much work we do following Him does not have an affect on our eternity with Jesus. The closer our work with Him, the more rewarding our life here on earth. Out names were written in the book of life the day we asked Jesus into our heart. And that was not done with an erasable pencil.

Thank you Jesus for using me in the world I travel in. Thank you for being in me and working through me. Thank you for my eternal promise to be with you forever.

No comments: