Monday, August 24, 2015

Cleansing

2 Corinthians 7:1 NLT
Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body or spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God.

We are a clean people. We wash our cars, our clothes, our teeth, ourselves, and more. The consequences of not doing so may result in a reduced number of friends, loss of a job, loss of teeth, or worse. Living in/with filth has health consequences as well.

God's promises to us are numerous, but the most important one is His promise to save us from death. He sent His son, Jesus to show us the way to eternal life. When we accept Jesus as our Lord and savior we move from a life on earth ending in death to an abundant life here ending in eternal life in Heaven with Jesus.

Now that Jesus lives in me, I want to be the cleanest I have ever been. Sure I clean up on the outside the same way I did before I was saved. It is the inside that is needing a good washing. The way I thought, the selfish ways I approached things, the WIFM attitude I had, the movies I watched, the language I used, the endless supply of innuendos, etc. all had to go.

My list of was longer than that, but I have already listed more than I had planned as it is. You see, when I realized who was in me, I could not be that same person. My mind had to be washed clean by the blood of Jesus. My mind needed to be renewed. I needed to operate out of the mind of Christ and not of my old mindset.

I would love to tell you I am fixed. I am not. There are still things in me that Jesus is working on. Holy Spirit shows me what they are and I work on changing, with His help.

"Father God, show me what needs to change in me. Help me to be the person you designed me to be and not the person satan tried to turn me into when I was tempted to do all those worldly things and hang around with the wrong people. Help me to be where you are working and give me the boldness to allow Holy Spirit to work through me so Jesus can touch lives all around me. Cleanse me. In Jesus name, I pray."

No comments: