Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Tattoos

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT 
Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.

Every so often someone asks me what I think about getting a tattoo. I do not have one and have no desire to do so. A number of my friends and family member have them. I know some people come back from battle with one or more. I don't know when that began, but some of my relatives in WWII came back with them as did friends who saw action in other conflicts. In today's younger generation it seems to be the "thing to do". They are placed in hidden places and in obvious spots on their bodies. Women seem to like them on their back in the waist area and you see them as you walk the beaches seeing the bikini clad women. Some are just cute little butterflies or hearts, others large with some implied message. Everyone is doing it, so it must be ok, right? Here is what I find my Bible has to say about it and, if God said it, are we not to obey?

Leviticus 19:28 NLT
Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD.

No comments: