Friday, February 19, 2010

The Veil

2 Corinthians 3:14
The people's minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ. (NLT)


When I was teaching programming there were some students that just could not get the concepts. They would listen to the lectures, do the lab work, and just not get it. Something just would not click. Then one day, for no apparent reason at all a light bulb would go off in their mind and they would understand. From that point forward, they understood and were able to write programs.

Paul is speaking about the Jews not being able to get it. They just could not see Jesus in the Old Testament readings. I have to admit that I could not either. I have gone to church since I was born and heard all the stories, but that is just what they were-stories.

The ones I remember most are the big ones in the Old Testament like Adam and Eve eating the fruit, Noah and the ark, Moses parting the Red Sea, Daniel in the lions den. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace, and Jonah in the whale. But they were just cool stories. I do not remember any tie in to Jesus.

Later on in life, when I decided to ask Jesus into my life, all that changed. Reading the Old Testament started to take on a new meaning. They were not just stories anymore. Oh they were still stories, but they pointed to the one who was coming. They pointed to Jesus.

The Jews minds were hardened and as the next verse says "Yes, even today when they read Moses' writings, their hearts are covered with that veil, and they do not understand." No matter how convincing an argument you try to give them, they will not see until they are ready to receive Christ on their own and that veil is removed.

Thank God as believers you and I can pick up the Old and New Testament and have God speak directly to us through what we read.

No comments: