Thursday, February 04, 2010

Rely on God

2 Corinthians 1:9
We stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. (NLT)


We have all heard the old adage "If you want it done right you have to do it yourself!" This philosophy had probably driven more people than want to admit it. Sometimes it is subtle and we do not even realize it. Who drives when two of you go for a ride? How come it is always one of you? "Well I am better at it then my spouse", you say. Isn't that just what that old adage is talking about?

Yesterday we were driving around town and I took a left turn knowing exactly where I was going-I thought. My wife questioned me about were we were heading and I told her exactly where we were going to end up. Then in a few minutes we were at the other end of the road, the opposite direction from where I had expected to be.

We have it all figured out. Why bother God with things we already know how to handle? He gave us a brain and we ought to use it, you think. In everything we do, there are decisions to make. We can go left or right and often the wrong turn can bring us where we never meant to venture.

God can do anything. He knows us better than we know ourselves. Why is it so hard for us to rely on Him all day long? Why do we tend to think of Him as a last ditch effort to solve something? He is ready and able to work with us throughout every day.

No comments: