Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Practice Faith

2 Corinthians 1:24
We do not want to dominate you by telling you how to put your faith into practice. We want to work together with you so you will be full of joy, for it is by your own faith that you stand firm. (NLT)


When I was growing up we learned math and I am very good at it. One of my favorite subjects in school was math and I went on in college to take some advanced courses. Now I can only say I took those courses and not that I remember much. I only can do what I have put into practice and that is the basics and a little algebra when needed.

Now I find out that my math was the old math. They do not teach it the way I was taught anymore. When we tried to show our children how to solve problems and they did it our way, they were marked off for not using the new math. Come on, math is math and it has not changed forever. But they now tell the school children that there is only one way to put it into practice.

Religion is very similar. Jesus said to be saved you must be born again and to follow Him. What has man done with that simple instruction? For one they have created a "sinner's prayer" that many believe must be spoken in order for one to be saved. Then they tell the new believer exactly how to live in order to be a Christian. They dominate by telling others how to put their faith into practice.

We do not get stronger in our faith by following a set of rules. No, we are to put our faith into action by asking the Holy Spirit for His guidance and then doing what He says. It is by acting on our faith that we grow in faith and stand firm on the rock. And that rock in Christ.

No comments: