Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Work Enthusiastically

1 Corinthians 15:58
Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless. (NLT)

I was brought up with the knowledge that when you worked for someone you should always work enthusiastically. You put your best foot forward and you were rewarded with increases. I did that and it always worked for me.

Depending on the situation, the reward came at different times. There were times that the work in one place resulted in a reward someplace else.

Working for the Lord is never useless, but what is His work? Often we do a very good job of deciding what His work is and then plead with Him to help us.

When I was first working for a bank in Rhode Island, I was put on the line as a teller. My job was to serve the customers as they came in the bank. Had I decided to enthusiastically give them a loan it would not have been taken well by my boss. There was a range of tasks I was assigned and giving loans was not part of it.

I believe God has a plan for us and we need to stop and listen to just what that plan is. He has assignments for us. As we listen and walk forth to do the work enthusiastically, He rewards us spiritually in ways we cannot comprehend. And He rewards us materially by supplying our needs.

No comments: