Monday, January 18, 2010

Praying in the Spirit

1 Corinthians 14:14-15
For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don't understand what I am saying. Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand. (NLT)


This subject of tongues is controversial. Arguments over it occur often as Christians of different backgrounds share their beliefs. What is the truth here?

I can only speak from my own experience and not based on the teaching of man, although I have sat under preachers who taught on the subject. My knowledge is experiential coupled with revelation as I read the words of Paul.

There is a difference in speaking in tongues and praying in tongues. If we have the gift on tongues, then what comes out of our mouth in public is from God and someone else (not us) will have the interpretation in English. We have witnessed this on many occasions.

Praying in tongues is praying in our prayer language either out loud by ourselves or inward, in our mind, when in public. We do not control what syllables are spoken. It occurs when we give over our prayers to our spirit to pray. It is our spirit communicating with the spirit of God directly.

When I have something specific to pray about, I use words I understand. This is a direct communication with God and He does answer my prayers. Does He always give me what I want? No, not always, but I get what I need at just the right time.

I find my self singing as I am out walking, in the shower, or driving in my vehicle. Sometimes I use words that happen to come as I speak them out for I do not really know any songs. More often I find myself singing in the spirit-singing out loud in tongues. I find this the most beneficial and feel His presence as I do so.

When we are in corporate worship at a church filled with spirit filled believers, that is believers that have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and have a prayer language, we may pray out loud in our prayer language. We have even sung corporately in our prayer language and the results have sounded like angelic songs.

If you want to have your own personal prayer language, ask Him for it. As you use it to pray without ceasing as Paul suggests, you find an increase in His power in your life.

Do you have a prayer language?

No comments: