Monday, August 08, 2016

Judging

1 Samuel 16:7 NLT
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

When I was growing up, I was the shortest kid in school. Most of my classes had the shorter kids sit up front, so I always had a front row seat. This was a good thing as I had no choice but to pay attention. I also had a speech problem--I stuttered badly.

I am not sure if I was rejected by others because of these shortcomings (no pun intended) or if the issue was with me. I was not the life of the party and tended to stay by myself. This was a trait that went along with being an only child. And yet there was boldness in me as well.

How often do we look at others and judge them by what they are wearing, how they speak, what they talk about, how they react to things around them, etc. We know we should not judge, yet we do. The current word for it seems to be profiling. Because a handful of bad apples out there, we judge all apples the same. But the only way all are the same is that all are children of God.

Jesus tells us to preach the good news in all the world. But if we are not looking past the facade people put on, not looking past what they appear to be, how can we see their heart. How can we preach to the whole world if we refuse to part of it?

“Lord, help me to see things and people the way you see them. Help me to see their heart and see them as as much a child of God and I am. And place all types of people in my path today so I can love them as You love me. In Jesus name, I pray.”

No comments: