Monday, August 29, 2016

God's Voice

John 10:3-5 NKJV
To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.

We will know His voice and follow Him. And yet, when I would hear people telling me God told them this and God told them that, it would frustrate me. I was not hearing Him saying anything. I was expecting a loud voice coming down like when the Father spoke to Jesus at His baptism with John the Baptist. It was not happening. Why was I not hearing His voice?

Then people would get up in church and speak for God. They would say "God says..." They must be hearing his voice very clearly, I would think. Then I heard a minister say that unless you actually are hearing the audible voice of God, you better be careful about putting words in God's mouth! Better to say that you feel God wants you to say... I feel impressed to say...

Hearing the voice of God is an interesting subject. Opening up your heart to God means getting your analytical mind out of the way so that God can speak to you. So that you can discern His voice.

There are three voices in my head. There's the voice of me; my own thoughts. Then there's what sounds like the voice of me, but the thoughts are not thoughts that I would normally think. And they are good thoughts. This is the voice of God.

Then there are the thoughts that still sound like me, but are negative voices, thoughts of temptation. The voices of wanting to do things that are no longer in my nature to do. This is the voice of the enemy.

So I listen to for the good thoughts and I know that the good cannot be Satan it must be God. And if those thoughts are not thoughts that I normally think or are thoughts that are an answer to the questions I'm asking, I know they are from God. Thank you, Jesus for opening me up to communication with God.

No comments: