Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Plans

Proverbs 16:9
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps. (NLT)

You have probably heard the old adage "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail". And I am not against planning. Often I do too much of it. We can be so wrapped up in the details of our own plan we miss Holy Spirit trying to get a word in edgewise.

James 4:13-17 tells us "Look here, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.' How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog-it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it."

This tells me we need to look first each day to God. He will order our steps for the day. Those steps may be in line with our to-do list or they may take us to an entirely new place. Then we have to re-do our to-do. Our plans change based on the steps He has us take.

Too often I like my plan so much I do not even listen for His. If I stop to listen I might have to change the plan and I like my plan! How about you? Do you really want to know God's plan? Are you willing to step up and step out in what He has for you to do?

"Father God, help me look outside the box I have created that contains my plan. Help me to open the door for you to tell me the steps I am to take today to get closer to the plan you have for my life. In Jesus name, I pray."

No comments: