Monday, February 22, 2016

Allowance

Ephesians 4:2 NLT
Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.

When the word allowance is mentioned my first thought is back to my childhood when I would be given an allowance weekly to do what I wanted. It was not much; I think a quarter or less. When I was a teenager I had a paper route and earned my own money. So when Paul speaks to the Ephesians about making allowance for each other the word takes on a whole new meaning for me.

As we walk out in the Father's Love as Jesus said, being humble, gentle, and patient with each other should be easy. But here we are walking in the flesh instead of walking in the spirit once again where our old man is far from gentle and perhaps even a little condescending with a brother or sister.

We must allow our spirit to take over so we can get out of that fleshly mode we have lived through most of our lives. Holy Spirit and our spirit became one the moment we asked Jesus to be Lord of our life and He sent Holy Spirit to live in us. As we allow the spirit to rule, we see others as Jesus sees them and our old way of judging others because they do not line up wtih our way of thinking is replaced with our love for them.

It is God's love that we take on that gives us the ability to make allowances for those things that our old way of thinking would have seen as faults. For they are perfected in Jesus walking in the same promises as us. As we see them as Jesus sees them, we realize that. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: