Monday, June 03, 2013

Rules

Colossians 2:23 NLT  
These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desires.  

We live with rules everywhere we go. How many have said to their children something like "When you live in my house you live by my rules!"?

There are rules in church and rules in school and rules everywhere we turn. They make clear what we can and cannot do according to those who made up the rules.

And the rules are always in a state of flux; always changing or being added to. Seldom are any removed from the list and the list gets bigger and bigger.

I have often said "You cannot legislate morality." No matter how many new laws or rules the governing bodies pass and impose on us they never change the populations evil desires. Who we are deep inside does not change just because we are told to change. Not even when there are penalties if we don't.

After a while we accept the new rules and even forget when they were enacted. We go with the flow being like everyone else. But who we are does not change no matter how strongly we believe in the rules.

The guiding force in our lives is either evil or good. Only God can change us so that under pressure we follow Him. Satan and his evil ways were defeated at the Cross. He can no longer control us or our actions, unless we decide to bend to him under pressure.

"Father, God thank you for sending Jesus to save me and be Lord of my life. Thank you for the encouragement and guidance of Holy Spirit each day of my life. Thank you for making me more Christ like each day so I follow Your ways and live up to your standards. In Jesus name I pray."

No comments: