Monday, December 19, 2011

Modern Medicine

2 Chronicles 16
In the thirty-ninth year of his reign, Asa developed a serious foot disease. Yet even with the severity of his disease, he did not seek the Lord's help but turned only to his physicians. So he died in the forty-first year of his reign. (NLT)

God gave us a mind to think and create. So we have created modern medicine to heal us, they say. Physicians have been around for centuries, even before Jesus ever walked the earth. As they have practiced their trade, they have become better at what they do. The more test subjects they treat the better they get at diagnosing the problem and suggesting a remedy that works most of the time.

Psalm 103:3
He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. (NLT)

But why would God want us to turn away from Him for healing and turn instead to man? Why would he have us depend on man to heal us?

John 14:12-14 
"I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it! (NLT)

All we have to do is ask, in the name of Jesus and it will be so. If we believe. And yet, man turns away from God to be healed, to live a longer life. Is he turning to just another graven image?

Mark 16:16-18
Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved... They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed. (NLT)

Jesus did mighty miracles and told us that we will do the same works, and even greater ones. He sent Holy Spirit to dwell within us and gave us the authority and power to call forth the miraculous.

Let's stop turning first to man and instead keep our focus on God. He will heal all our diseases.

No comments: