Monday, December 26, 2011

Being Busy

While I was talking with God, he shared this one liner with me, "Being busy does not glorify Me." I wondered what it meant and then He cleared it up.

We run our lives using a calendar. Some of us have it on our phone or on our computer. Mine even sends me an email a few days in advance to remind me of my appointments. So I do not even have to remember to look at the calendar. We lead busy lives.

As believers, much of our time seems to be spent with church involvement. On Sunday's we look at the things going on in the church we attend. If we put every one of those things in our calendar we would not have much left over.

James 2:26 
Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works. (NIV)

In addition we think up all kinds of projects that God should approve. We want to always be working for Him. After all, without works faith is dead. But what are those works worth?

Psalm 37:23 
The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. (NIV)

First and foremost, I believe God wants our focus on Him. He wants our praise and He wants us to have a relationship with Him. The only entry He wants to see in our calendar is a date with Him every hour of every day. If we do that and listen to His voice, He will fill in the slots in the calendar. He will direct our steps to the works He has for us to do instead of the works we think are godly.

You see, busyness is not godliness.

No comments: