Monday, July 26, 2010

The Christian Walk

1 John 2:27
You have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don't need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true-it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ. (NLT)


I have learned from many over the years. As long as was with them I always picked up something new. Just watching them work at something would give me ideas to use. Afterwards, I could call on what I had learned for years to come. I often think of things my father had told me and how I still think as he did because of what I learned.

Many of us have been molded by one or more teachers in school. We were drawn to them for whatever reason and what they taught us has stayed with us over the years. I always remember a science teacher from junior high that taught with demonstrations. I still remember him shooting a 22 rifle in class to calculate the speed of the bullet. We could never do that in today's schoolroom!

When we asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins and to come into our heart, we became born again. As promised, He asked the Father to send the Holy Spirit to live in us. He knows all things and we can learn from Him daily.

I do not learn from my father anymore because he has gone to be with the Lord. I do not learn from that school teacher anymore because I have not seen him since then. We need a working relationship with someone to learn from them. The same can be said for the Holy Spirit.

We must remain in fellowship with Christ. We must have a personal relationship with Him to continually learn what He has to teach us.

Sure, we can go to classes at our local church. Sunday School is great and fills us with useful information that we should sift through the filter of our Bible. Perhaps what is discussed in class sparks revelation in us and we then can ask the Holy Spirit to tell us more.

The key is a working relationship with Jesus. Without it we do not have a true Christian walk.

No comments: