Friday, May 21, 2010

Open Doors

Colossians 4:3
And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains (NIV)


In my past, I thought we were the ones that controlled opening and closing of doors. There was a TV show where the contestant had to choose from three doors. Do you want what is behind door number 1, 2, or 3?

The doors we chose in life were doors we thought would allow us to have fun, to enjoy life.

When we were growing up, we turned many corners in life looking for new ways to have fun. After High School, I looked to the ways of the world. My friends smoked cigarettes and drank drinks like whiskey sours, wine coolers, or rum and coke. So I tried out their ways for a while, but I never really had fun.

In my teen years, I played tennis and spent hours talking on my ham radio. Those were fun things for me. I have not played tennis in years, but did try my hand at it again in Florida a few weeks ago. I was surprised that I could still get the ball over the net. It was still fun.

Ham Radio had been a silent hobby for years. Back in the 80's I taught classes and helped many in Rhode Island learn Morse code and get their Novice license from the FCC. Then life got busy and that hobby took a back seat. Recently I have had the time to dabble a little and it is still fun talking to someone halfway around the world.

Back to open doors. They are all around us. There are doors for us to walk through in this life that will prosper us and doors allowing us the opportunity to complete the Father's work. God uses the Holy Spirit to show us where they are.

It is a wonder every time a door opens and we are able to preach the message God has given us.

Often we miss the open doors because we are not looking for them. We are not open for the Holy Spirit to tell us. It is not His job to shout at us. It is our job to be open to Him and to use those opportunities to tell the story of Jesus in our life.

"Father, open my spiritual ears. Show me the open doors you have for me to walk through. Guide me in the natural to those things I need to prosper. And show me the work you have for me to further the Kingdom of God. In Jesus mighty name, I pray. Amen."

No comments: