Friday, August 11, 2006

DEBT FREE
Pay all your debts, except the debt of love for others. You can never finish paying that! If you love your neighbor, you will fulfill all the requirements of God's law. (NLT Romans 13:8)

The American way of life revolves around debt. The latest tool banks have added is the debit card. You can just purchase and pay right out of your checking account. I guess it is better than getting a bill from a credit card company at the end of the billing cycle. The way I see it, having hard cash in my hand and wanting to hang on to it is a deterrent to spending too freely. With a card in hand, it is easy to forget the fact that the funds are about to be removed from your bank account.

I believe my Bible tells me God does not want us to be in debt to anyone for anything, except the debt of love for others. The only way not to be in debt is to limit spending to income. The only way to be successful at that is not to let those easy payment ads tempt us into another monthly bill.

Success in the eyes of others is the big house, the fast car, the great vacations, and other things. Real success is the ability to do that without creating a debt needing to be paid off with thirty-six payments or more. When He says pay all your debts, I believe He means it. How close are you to making it a reality in your life?

No comments: