Sunday, December 23, 2018

Repentance

Luke 13:5 NKJV
I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.

When I grew up in church this is one of those things programmed into me. Ask for forgiveness of my sins and ask Jesus into my heart to save me. That was a once in a lifetime declaration.

For once I did that, once I believed who Jesus was and what he did for me, for all mankind, I was free. Not free to sin but free to receive his grace.

Grace to receive his mercy new every morning. Grace to know whatever I said and did I was still free from the grip of the enemy. And whenever the enemy grabs me tempting me back to come under his control with his lies and deception all I need to do is reach out and call on the name of Jesus.

The laws of the new covenant are written on my heart because he saved me. I am born again. I walk in the laws of the new covenant--liberty, faith, and love.

This verse in Luke is under the old covenant. Jesus had not gone yet. He was speaking to followers under the laws of the old covenant; under the Ten Commandments.

Under the new covenant repentance is us recognizing we have sinned and turning to Jesus; turning to who we are in Christ.

We do not have to work to create change. As Holy Spirit guides us our mind is renewed. It is changed to be more and more the mind of Christ. We know who we are, perfect in Him. The more we step out the more our mind is changed. For He abides in us and we abide in Him. We are to repent or turn away from who we used to be and walk in who we became when we became born again.

No comments: