Monday, May 16, 2016

Live Wisely

Colossians 4:5-6 NLT
Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

This seems like it should be a very simple task. When you're with other people we should be the best we can be. And yet how often do other people irritate us? Often they say things that make us want to respond in a not so nice fashion.

And is that not the point? If we are using the mind of Christ we would also be able to be quiet when we should be quiet and have the right words to say when it's time to speak. Oh how I wish that were the case with me.

How often I open my mouth and things fall out that later I regret. I think, why did I ever say that? Those are the times that I realize it is my carnal mind just feeding my mouth. I have allowed my old man to take over once again.

And here I am with the Holy Spirit, the spirit of Jesus living in me. All I need to do is practice His presence. All I need to do is let my old thoughts go and allow Jesus to fill my mouth. He knows what to say. Why can't I let him say it?

"Father, help me be the person you made me to be. Help me to live wisely and put my old self aside, dying to all its desires, and allow my new spirit, the spirit that lives inside with your Holy Spirit, to take over. I want more of you and less of me. In Jesus name I pray amen."

No comments: