Monday, November 19, 2012

Practice

Leviticus 20:7
So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the LORD your God.Keep all my decrees by putting them into practice, for I am the LORD who makes you holy. (NLT)

Somehow we have gotten the mistaken idea that attending a church on Sunday morning is setting ourselves apart to be holy. Well, I guess it is a step in the right direction.

I have always found it interesting that the professions that seem to bring in the big bucks are the ones that are always practicing. Think about it. Lawyers have a Law Practice. Doctors practice. Down to earth professions like law enforcement, and teaching, truck driving are not practices. Some that perhaps should be called practices are politicians and newscasters. And then there is one that . really does involve lots of practice--acting.

Putting them into practice to me means continuing to do what God has called you to. Doing it over and over and over until it has become second nature.

I remember when I first learned to drive. I was determined and nervous. All my concentration was on keeping the car straight and watching for what the other drivers were doing. I could not have the radio on or pay attention to someone riding with me. After a while all those driving things became second nature. Now I can get where I am going and not remember all the details of how I got there!

So let's listen to God tell us what we are to do and practice doing it--over and over and over.

No comments: