Monday, September 10, 2012

Encourage

Romans 1:12
When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours. (NLT)

I remember playing on a baseball team when I was growing up. The shortest one on the team and I got a walk most of the time. The strike zone was pretty small. The only time I did not get a walk was when I tried to hit the ball. I was not very good at it and no matter how many times I tried, I struck out. The worst was when we were down a run, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded, two outs and I was up to bat. You guessed it. I struck out and we lost the game. I was discouraged but my teammates and my coach still encouraged me.

How important it is to encourage others in their faith walk. They look at others and see how their faith works in their lives. And they have a hard time relating because they cannot picture themselves letting go of the steering wheel. They want to remain in control.

And isn't this true with us as well? No matter how far we have walked, there are places we have not gotten to yet and others we can look up to that have made it. In that area their faith is stronger than ours.

We all need encouragement in our walk as God helps us change one little bit at a time. As we hear testimony from others about what they had to go through to walk the walk they are walking, we will be encouraged to keep on keepin on.

So take the time today to encourage another in their walk with Jesus.

No comments: