Monday, February 21, 2011

Right Timing

John 15:16
You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. (NLT)


There are times in my life when I am at just the right place at the right time. Years ago I thought it was just dumb luck. Now I know better. God was in the mix and those things happened when they happened because of His plan, not mine and certainly not dumb luck.

In this passage, Jesus is speaking to His disciples, but I believe His words apply to us as well. His twelve were saved and on their way to eternity with Jesus. But they did not make a logical choice to follow Him. Each was chosen.

Those who know me understand that I am not a sports fan. However, it is impossible to not know about the big games. There is information about them everywhere. I have no desire to sit around and watch a game or even go to one. For me to go to a game takes a decision that involves looking at how far I have to travel, if I have anything else to do instead, and perhaps how much will it cost.

In our country it is easy to know about Jesus. There are books, movies, billboards, as well as people holding up hand made "Jesus Saves" signs on street corners. Someone has to be out of it to not know something about Jesus.

If a friend called me up and told me they had tickets to the big game and wanted to give them to me there would be no choice. I would say "Yes!" The timing was right on and the price was right, even though I really was not a fan.

So when asked if they believe in Jesus, a person can easily think about all they have read or seen or heard and come to a logical decision on their own that they do know Him. But even if they repeat a "sinners prayer" at this point, were they chosen by God or just picked out of a crowd and convinced based on foreknowledge about Jesus? After all they were being given a free ticket. so why not take it just in case?

I believe that first we are chosen by God. He softens our heart making us ready to reach out to Him. Then when we are picked out of a crowd it is not as if we have to be convinced of anything. We are ready and just say "Yes!".

Then we are saved. Then we are in the position Jesus speaks to of when He said "Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name."

No comments: