Thursday, October 22, 2009

Do No Harm

Romans 13:10
Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. (NLT)


Love. This is a word used everywhere you look. There are books about it. There are movies that make it look wonderful and one that make it dirty. Its meaning is twisted and it is used instead of the word like.

It reminds me of the Golden Rule. "Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." This is from Matthew 7:12 and quoted in other places in the New Testament.

Reminds me of when I first signed up for an Internet service by installing one of those AOL diskettes we used to get ever week or so back in the 90's. I was on the Web and had an email address, but was not getting many emails. Then I heard a voice inside telling me that if I wanted to get emails I had to send some.

An old adage says "What goes around comes around." And it is true. We receive what we dish out. If we are full of anger it is not surprising that we would have others angry at us.

Would it not be better to show God's love to others, and then we will receive love back? And if we are looking to Love others (our neighbors) all of the law will be fulfilled for law is about punishment for doing something that wrongs another. If we act in Love we will do not harm to others.

No comments: